I just wanted to share Makenna Rae's birth story...
At 35 weeks 3 days I went to the doctor. I'd been having contractions, cramping, and a back ache for a few days before. My doctor told me he bets the baby would be born within a week to a week and a half.
At 36 weeks 3 days I went back for a weekly visit. The doctor told me that he expected the baby to be born within a day or two.
At 37 weeks 3 days and still no baby, I went back to the doctor- more miserable than ever and he decided the baby would be born within 6 days. He said he would induce me on Friday at 38 weeks. BUT, my mom and I had planned Jeni's baby shower for Saturday- and I really didn't want to miss it. So my mom asked my doctor if he would induce Saturday evening after the shower. He said he doesn't like to induce in the evening and asked if Sunday morning would be okay. Sunday worked perfect because if we waited until Monday, I would get out of the hospital on Wednesday- Madison's birthday- and I really didn't want to. So if I didn't go with Sunday, that would have meant being miserable for another week and not being able to be induced until the 14th or missing Madison's birthday.
So the baby shower wore me out and I was extremely miserable afterward. I went home to rest, but didn't rest much. I found I had way too much to do! I checked the hospital bag, repacked Madison's bag, finished up all laundry and dishes, took a hot bath, and a few other things. Tried to lay down at 2 am but was way too excited. After an hour of not being able to sleep, I decided it was time to go in. I took my time getting ready and left to pick up my mom.
We got to the hospital around 4:30 am- did some paperwork, I got changed and then they hooked me up to the moniters. I think they put the IV in at that point, but I honestly can't remember when they did. I was hooked up for a few hours, just contracting but not dilating. They broke my water at 8 am- that hurt so bad! At some point they started pitocin (the drug they use to induce labor), I don't remember if it was before or after they broke my water. I was so nauseated the whole time I was in labor- even as we were driving to the hospital. I threw up every once in a while- it was horrible. After he broke my water, they started my epidural. Shortly after they got it started, Makenna's heart rate dropped to 50. They were rolling me from side to side (I couldn't help because of the epidural). They said she was laying on her cord or it had been kinked. The nurse started getting ready to take me out for an emergency c-section- worst feeling in the world! Luckily a miracle happened and her heartrate got back up to normal. At that point they turned the pitocin off thinking it might have had something to do with it. I think it was around 10 am. For a few hours, I did nothing but lay there nauseated, throwing up, not dilating, not being able to move (my foot fell off the bed and I had to have Mel pick it up for me). It was horrible! My mom made a few phone calls and my brother-in-law and his dad came in and gave me a much needed blessing. (Thanks Jordan and Michael!) Shortly after that, at 4:30 they checked me and I think I was 5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. My mom left the room for something and I just started bawling, not knowing she would be born within an hour. I told my sister how dumb it was and all I was doing was laying in the bed not doing anything. We learned with Madison that my body doesn't dilate without the pitocin and they had turned it off. I asked for something for nausea, but the nurse didn't want to give it because it slows down labor. My mom and the nurse came back in- I think my mom convinced the nurse to start the pitocin again. I threw up and she checked me again. I was at an 8! They joked about how I dilated when I threw up. The nurse left the room and a few minutes later my mom left too. As soon as she walked out of the room, I told my sister to go find the nurse- I had to push! The nurse came in and I think she must have thought I was kidding but she checked me. She started to leave and my mom asked her where I was and the nurse said it was time to call the doctor. She started setting things up for the doctor and I was holding onto the bars of the bed screaming because I had to push NOW! The nurse just told me not to push til the doctor came in. My mom asked if the doctor was on his way and the nurse said she hadn't even called him. I was a little upset at that moment, but more focused on having to push and trying not to. The doctor finally came in. I pushed through three contractions and it hurt SO BAD, but she was born at 5:24 pm. After she was born I found out that the anesthesiologist had come in to check the epidural and hung a new bag, but he thought the nurse started it and the nurse thought he started it- so I pretty much had the baby without the epidural.
Makenna Rae was born on Sunday, October 10 at 5:24 pm, weighing 7 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long. She's been such a great baby and I love her so much! She had a little bit of jaundice, but has already gotten over it and was only on the bili lights for a few hours. Her first two nights at home she wanted to stay awake through the night and sleep all day. But last night, she slept for almost 12 hours straight- other than me waking her a few times to eat because I was really full of milk and it kind of hurt. I had to take her out to the hospital on Wed, Thurs, and again today for bloodwork for her jaundice. They've all commented on how she is a bleeder- she must have got that from Grandma Tammy :)
Here are some pictures of my beautiful baby....
 |
| Not even an hour old |
 |
| She's so perfect |
 |
| Our first morning together |
 |
| My beautiful family |
 |
| Going home |
 |
| on the bili lights getting help from big sis |
 |
| Just after her first bath- she loved it! |
 |
| My girls are my world! |
 |
| I love my little family of three! |
No comments:
Post a Comment