Sunday, August 2, 2009

5K Run 2009

So Saturday was the big 5K run. I ran it last year and had been planning all year to run it again this year. Even though I knew I would do it, I did not make the time to train for it. In fact, I haven't worked out at all in the past three months and am completely out of shape. I still thought I could do it...

Well, I did it. But I thought I was going to die. The first mile wasn't so bad (I think I did it in less than 12 min, which is good for me, its all uphill). The second mile... yeah, that wasn't so good. I got a major side cramp. I pushed myself to keep running, but the more I ran, the more it hurt. I would run to one driveway, walk to the next, etc. But I realized the only way to get the cramp to go away was to walk it out. So I walked the whole second mile (which made me so mad that I had to do that). I was able to run the last mile though. I did my best and am so glad I finished. During that second mile, I kept thinking, "I'm just going to go home" (the race goes right past my house). But I finished. Last year, I did it just under 40 minutes, this time I did 42 minutes.

Next year, I will train for it and I will get under 35 minutes. I know I can do it. I have run the course with the stroller in 35 minutes, so I know I can do it without (as long as I am in shape).

There were a group of runners at the race and at the finish line I over-heard them talking. They said they run 5Ks, 10Ks, 1/2 marathons, etc all over the state. And they said this 5K is the hardest one they have done and it is by far the hardest one in Utah. It is uphill 3/4 of the way. Just hearing that made me feel better, even though my time was horrible, it made me feel great to know that I DID IT!!!! again. I would love to eventually do it under 30 minutes.

Thirty-six hours later, my entire body HURTS. I won't make the mistake of not training again. I am thinking of training for a triathalon (two of them actually) next year. I just don't know how much Madison will allow me to train (running and biking part will be easy, but I can't swim with her). So we'll see... if anyone wants to train with me, let me know. I need someone to push/encourage me. There is another 5K in two weeks. I'm debating whether or not to run that one, but I'm thinking I need to be in better shape and I can't get into that kind of shape in two weeks.

No comments: