Tuesday, December 16, 2008

our hospital stay (and pictures)

"I WANT OUT OF HERE!"

The doctor told me at Madison's appointment on Thursday that if she threw up one more time, to rush her to the hospital right away for x-rays. She did great all day Thursday. But at 1:30 am and again at 3:30 am, she threw up A LOT! I didn't want to take her out in the cold in the middle of the night, so I waited until 8 am. We went for x-rays and were at the hospital for 3 hours. And then they came back normal. So we went home. I had just fallen asleep for a much needed nap when the doctor called and said he wanted to admit her right away. He said he wanted to figure out what was wrong, put her on antibiotics for her ear infections, give her fluids because she was dehydrated, and just get her feeling better. So she was admitted about 2 pm Friday afternoon. They put an IV in her arm and she screamed (I would too, poor girl). The doctor said she could have nothing by mouth, not even a sip/drink or even ice. So she screamed because she was hungry. I wouldn't eat because I didn't think that was fair to her. So we had a long night Friday. She started throwing up around 1 am, but there was nothing they could do. The doctor didn't want her to have anything to stop the throwing up because he wanted to see if she would stop on her own. And she didn't. He finally decided she could have a little to eat/drink at 4pm on Saturday. She was allowed 1 oz of breastmilk and 1 tsp of either banana, rice, applesauce, or toast (BRAT diet) every two hours. Jeni described what she was like when she had that first ounce of breastmilk. It was so sad to see her drink it all up and then she wanted more. So, the rest of Saturday, she kept on the diet every two hours. Then at 2 am, she threw up again. I told them I was beginning to notice a pattern. She always threw up in the early morning hours, just after midnight. Well, Sunday morning the doctor increased her diet to every hour instead of every two hours. Then in the afternoon, he said she could nurse as much as she wanted and have 1 tsp of the BRAT diet per hour. Sunday night, the doctor came to check on her and said he had done all he could so we could go home. He put her on Zantac, twice a day, for acid reflux. He said he expects she will probably continue to throw up at night until the medicine starts working (which could take several weeks).
She seemed really happy and energetic during the day. We took many walks up and down the halls. She colored and read. We watched a lot of Christmas movies and Tinkerbell. She made friends with the Respiratory Therapist and he brought her in a teddy bear. She spent a lot of time with her Aunt Mel Mel who stayed two nights with us. (Thanks, again, Mel!)
Madison was in the hospital exactly 13 months ago (when she was 5 weeks old). We left with the same diagnosis. She was taken off the medicine because the doctor thought she had grown out of her acid reflux.
As soon as we got home from the hospital, she threw up again (I hadn't even taken off our coats). But it didn't seem to bother her. She was happy to be home and went in her room to play with her toys. Monday morning when we woke up, she looked around and grinned so big. I could tell she was happy to be home.
Now if we can just get through surgery tomorrow...
Here are some pictures:
in her cage, I love how her legs are hanging out
coloring (she's left handed)
hanging out with her Aunt Mel
she loves her Aunt Mel (Madie looks so tired and worn out in this pic)

we fell asleep watching Tinkerbell and Mel snapped a pic
Madie fell asleep with Daddy
this is the bear the Respiratory Therapist gave her
just waitin' for the nurse to come in and take the IV out so we could go home
November 18, 2007
5 weeks old

No comments: