Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Surgery Day!

A few weeks ago, I took Madison in for her 15 month check up. Her pediatrician found a hernia. We went to the surgeon where we decided it would be best to do surgery. (All of this is in previous posts, so you probably already knew that). She was given a blessing on Sunday and I know it helped comfort me and has made the day go as well as it could have.

So, today was surgery day...

Madie couldn't have anything by mouth after midnight. So I fed her around 11:30 last night. Around two, she woke up hungry. Since I couldn't feed her, she cried all night. It made for a very long night.

We had to be at the hospital at 6:15 to register. This is Madison on the way to the hospital...

...wide awake at 6 am. After we registered, we went to surgery room 6. I dressed her in a little gown and we waited for the anesthesiologist. Madie got a little sleepy while waiting...


They finally took her into surgery at 7:30 and told me it would be about an hour and a half. I took a walk, read the Ensign, and drank a Slim Fast. I went to the gift shop when they opened to get her a gift for being such a strong little girl. I picked out a cute, pink little bunny and a book. Finally at 9:05, the buzzer I was carrying around went off (meaning she was just about to come out of surgery). As I walked back to surgery, I could hear her trying to cry. She couldn't really, it was more of a whimper, but I could tell she needed her mommy. That was the longest part of the day, waiting for them to bring her to me, as I listened to her cry. After they brought her out, I held her, cuddled her, and nursed her to sleep...

(with the bunny I got her) I laid down with her and together we took a much needed little nap for about an hour. I woke up and spent some quiet time watching her sleep. I read my scriptures. It was nice. The nurse would peek in every once in a while to check her vitals. Around 11:00 Madie woke up, and she was not happy...

My good friend Mandie came in to visit and brought Madison some very pretty earrings. I can't wait for her to wear them! The nurse finally came in with post-op instructions and told me we could leave after she took out the IV and changed back into her pj's. We ran to Wal-Mart to pick up her Rx and I bought her a cute little Tinkerbell nightgown. I also got a size bigger diaper so they'd be more comfortable for her. After that we came home. Here is a picture of her to show you where her hernia was..


(I blocked out her girl parts because no one needs to see, especially online) The white bandage on her groin is where the incision is. I have not seen it yet because it has been covered. The white on her wrist is where the IV was. The orange area from her belly button to her thighs is just some stuff they put on her to kill the germs.

Here is what the dr said...
1) the hernia was much bigger than he's seen on most kids her age
2) it was way too big for someone as small as she is
3) inside the hernial sac was her fallopian tube. he did his best to put it back where it goes but she will most likely have scar tissue which might lead to problems later on in life
*I think that is all, but I am really tired and could have forgotten something*
Oh, I did learn that it is called an "inguinal hernia". I didn't know that before.

When we first got home (after I gave her some Loritab), she laid right down and slept for a few hours. It was all downhill from there. Since then, she has been pretty grumpy. At first, all she would do is lay there. She couldn't even sit up, let alone walk. But she has been doing better with that. She'll play for a little bit, then she whimpers. I think it hurts her to cry/scream, because she really won't do that.

Anyway, she is finally asleep now, so I'm going to get in bed and cuddle with her. I'll keep you posted on how she does.

4 comments:

Holly Steffen said...

looks like you made the right decision momma! =]

i'm glad the surgery went well, i was thinking about you guys!

thanks for the swing advice. i did already order the baby blue but online it looked like you couldnt plug in the rainforest one. that's okay though i like the baby blue.... parker could (up until recently) go in the swing too. but he would have hated it. haha...

Holly said...

Oh poor little Maddie. My heart just goes out to the both of you. What a strong little girl!!! Give her a big hug for me. I'm just amazed at how strong you are! Remember what a wonderful daughter of God you are that Heavenly Father gave Maddie specifically to you! Please let me know if I can do anything!

Tam said...

Amanda, you're a great mom. I should have been there with you, to comfort you. You have always been there for me and now I feel so guilty. I love Madi with all my heart and I love you too. You're my hero in more ways than one.

Amanda said...

Thanks girls! You are all so sweet.

Don't worry, Mom. I know you would have liked to have been there, but its okay. The day went by so fast.