Okay, that was a cheesy play on words.
I put on my myspace update status thingy about Madison being sick and going to the doctor. I've gotten several emails from my friends and family asking how she is and what is wrong with her. Rather than repeating myself over and over, I decided I would just update here.
So it all started Monday. Madison has just been acting really cranky and has had a low grade fever. I thought maybe it was teething and hoped she'd feel better. But I also noticed she wasn't peeing, she was holding it and then when she would pee, she would scream in pain. We've been working on potty training, so I wasn't sure if it was maybe normal potty training behaviors. So I decided to watch her for a few days. My mom had her yesterday (tuesday) and also noticed she wasn't having wet diapers. So today I decided to take her in to the doctor.
We weren't able to get into her regular pediatrician, so we went to the walk-in clinic. I would have rather gone to her regular doctor because he knows her, but there was nothing I could do if I wanted to be seen today (unless we went to the ER).
After describing her symptoms and behaviors, the dr said it "sounds" like she has a bladder infection or a UTI. She is really swollen on the outside opening of her urethra, so the dr is pretty sure she is swollen inside. Because of that she didn't want to use a catheter to get urine because it would be really painful. Instead, I've been working at it for the past 6 hours or so to get a urine sample. I finally got it just before midnight and had to rush it to the hospital.
She will start an antibiotic in the morning. She was supposed to start tonight, but couldn't take it until after I got the sample. And she fell asleep on the way home from the hospital. With her being cranky, I am not going to wake her to give her the medicine. She is also on a pill that numbs her bladder/urinary tract. It turns her urine, tears, snot, saliva, etc bright yellow/orange. Should be fun!
Now I just have to wait for the doctor to call to see if she's even on the right antibiotic...
I'll keep you updated!
2 comments:
I hope she feels better. It's not fun seeing them sick. It just breaks your heart.
Poor little Maddie. I'm always so impressed with what a wonderful mom you are. You've faced so many issues and have been so strong through them. You're such an inspiriation to me! I hope Maddie gets well soon.
Post a Comment