Saturday, April 11, 2009

just an update on my little sicky

Well I thought I'd post a short little post, but I'm not uploading many pictures right now. Maybe just one. I'm too tired! Actually I just wanted to let everyone know how my little Madie is. I posted Monday after our ER visit (she was given a prescription for strep and ear infections). Tuesday she cried a lot throughout the day, but I know it takes time for the antibiotics to work. So I just did Tylenol and watched her suffer. She screamed all night that night, so I got her into her pediatrician on Wednesday. We talked and decided to give it a few days to see how the antibiotics were working. Then we made another appointment on Friday. We came home and she took a nap. About an hour later, she woke up soaked in throw-up. I picked her up, she threw up all over me. I jumped in the car to take her to the doctor but he had already left for the day. I called the hospital, but couldn't get him paged because another dr who doesn't know Madie was on call. So I took off for my mom's house (I didn't know what else to do, so I went to my mommy). My mom said to take her to the ER. She threw up all the way to the doctor, all the way to my moms, at my moms, all the way to the hospital, in the waiting room, in the garbage can in the room, etc. It just kept coming. They gave her something for the throwing up (very expensive pills: over $500 for 10). After they got the throwing up under control, the dr examined her and decided that since she was still throwing up (it had gone on all weekend) it would be best not to give her oral antibiotics. Instead, he gave her Rocephin (antibiotic in shot form). He said her ears and throat were so bad, he would give her an adult dose (which is safe, just strong). He also mixed it with Lidacain (numbing stuff) since the Rocephin can be painful. Well, she had a reaction to the Lidacain. Her entire leg was swollen and bright red and she was screaming. I had many nurses and the dr in there trying to get it under control. They gave her a few more different medicines for pain and had to watch her forever! We finally were able to go home and she slept great that night (thanks to all the meds). The next day we were able to go up North shopping with my mom and sisters. She had a few screaming fits, but we still had fun. She screamed all that night as well. So we went to her follow-up appointment Friday morning. After I told him about the throwing up, he sent us to the hospital for labs and x-rays. The x-rays came back normal and the labs came back "not bad". So he is thinking its her acid reflux again and put her on Zantac (for the third time). And we have another follow-up next week. She slept pretty good last night. So hopefully the medicine will take care of the problem. She may just be on acid reflux meds all her life. Poor girl! Anyway, right now we're leaving for Wal-Mart. She's had MASSIVE diarrhea, so Grandma says we should ask the pharmacist if there's anything she can take. So thats it for now. Madie's poor momma is just exhausted. But don't worry, I'll be sure to post pictures of everything soon (our trip up North, the egg hunt on Wednesday, the visit with the Easter Bunny today, etc). Its been a busy week! So here is the picture I decided for this post...

2 comments:

Holly Steffen said...

poor girl. i hope she gets all better soon.

i LOVE that pic. adorable.

Holly said...

Poor little Madie. And porr you! You really are such a trooper and a wonderful mom!!! Madie is very blessed to have you! I hope she gets better soon and life gets back to normal...if there is such a thing!! Have a wonderful Easter!