Wednesday, April 29, 2009

twenty-five and still single (edited)

Last week, I saw an older couple walking down the street holding hands. It got me thinking. That is the kind of love I hope to have one day.

Then Monday, while grocery shopping, I saw a young couple. They were filling their basket with frozen tv dinners. They looked happy, but not the kind of happy that the older couple looked.

So I realized, I was probably born in the wrong generation.

I also got to thinking that one of the biggest reasons I am not married is because I have been searching for perfection. I want to marry my best friend and have a lasting marriage, to where we can walk down the street holding hands thirty years from now and be just as in love as we were while dating.

I want to have a family that goes to church every Sunday, reads the scriptures and prays as a family daily. I want to go to the temple regularly with my husband. I want to have a home cooked dinner every evening. I want to give my husband a good bye kiss as we go our separate ways each day and a big hug when we see each other again as if it had been months, even if it had only been hours. I want the fairy tale. I want my happily ever after.

I can't help but wonder if it exists. And if it does exist, are people really happy? Or do they just pretend? I know you have to work at a marriage, but before you can be happy in a marriage, you have to be happy in a relationship. I haven't really dated anyone other than Brian in four years. I really want to, but I am so afraid that I don't deserve all that I really want. I don't want to settle just because I am lonely. I would rather wait and have it all. I believe waiting will be worth it.

I just keep in mind the advice my bishop gave me back in January. That if I am doing what is right, he will find me. I just pray I am not such a perfectionist that I overlook him when he does find me.

**Edited to add:
I am not looking for the perfect guy. I am not perfect, nor do I expect to find anyone who is. What I am looking for is someone who has the same vision as I do. I do know that life won't always be perfect. There will disagreements and trials. But it is how you react to the hard times that make the good times even better. Cinderella didn't always wear the pretty dress.

3 comments:

Holly Steffen said...

relationships and marriage are complicated and hard. i agree with you there....

maybe that older couple are both widows and they just got together? we don't know they have been married a long time.

the reason i say that is because i did marry my best friend. it DEFINITELY has it's pros and cons.

i would say there are def some things you should NOT compromise. fhe, church, scripture study, attending the temple... you both need to have a common goal: having an eternal family. if you do that, everything else falls into place.

there IS someone out there for you. my missionary lives in St George- maybe you should look him up! (he's 27ish)

Tam said...

You deserve to find your prince charming. You are a princess and always remember when the man finds you he will have everything. I love you.

Darrell and Brianne Bennett said...

Marriage isn't like it is in fairy tales, but at the same time it is. You work hard to get where you are going to in life. While you are young you struggle with money and schooling and hardly ever seeing each other, while when you are in old age you have gone through those trials and grown together. You do marry your best friend when you find him.
Having a marriage where you read scriptures and pray together and go to the temple once a month isn't hard to find when you don't comprimise. Marry someone who has the same thoughts and ideas as you because you can't change someone who doesn't have those goals. They are rare. Marriage isn't perfect but as the Lord gives you trials and hard times you grow together and become the couple you saw. Marriage is not all happy. Don't expect that. It is amazing though. You will find that man. You just have to go out and be looking and doing the right things. That is what will make it happen. You can't do the same things you have always done and expect to get different results. Do something different. It will happen if its supposed too I promise that.