Friday, January 23, 2009
contemplating surgery
Madison had her appointment with the surgeon this morning. He checked out her hernia, then explained to me my options. He said I could 1) do nothing, 2) do the surgery right away, or 3) wait until after she is potty trained to do the surgery. He gave me pros and cons of each. If I do nothing, the pros are that she will not have to go through the surgery and there is no risk of infection. The cons are that it could get significantly worse and cause serious damage. If I do the surgery right away, the pros are that it can't get worse and the cons are if she has it before she is potty trained, the risk of infection is higher(the incision will be in her diaper area). If I do wait until she is potty trained, the pros are that the risk of infection goes down, but the cons are waiting could cause more damage. I really thought about it and decided to do it right away. That way it can't get any worse. I know the risk of infection is higher before she is potty trained, but after thinking about it, I don't think it will matter. She will be in a lot of pain and probably be on some serious drugs that will probably knock her out. What good does being potty trained do if she is asleep? And if I spend the time and effort getting her potty trained, then she has the surgery, how do I know she won't go back to being untrained with all the stress? Anyway, like I said, I decided to do the surgery right away. She is scheduled for Tuesday, February 3rd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Maybe it doesn't help you feel any better about her having surgery but your dad and I have both had hernia surgery and there really isn't much pain after , and actually I wonder if some of her tummy troubles might have been from the hernia , I had terrible tummy troubles when i had mine , she'll be fine hon
Good luck with the surgery! Poor girl has to go through a lot.
Post a Comment