Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Surgery Day

Madison's surgery was this morning. We had to be at the hospital at 6:45. I was so tired. She couldn't eat after midnight, so she cried most of the night. They took her back for surgery at 7:50 and about an hour later we could hear her screaming. She was in recovery and they were trying to get her pain under control. At 9:05 they brought her back to me. The anticipation was almost as great as when I was in labor. I just wanted to hold her and comfort her. They handed her to me, she was still screaming, blood was coming out of her nose and ears. I tried calming her down. She started waving her wrist, where the IV was. I called for the nurse and they realized something was wrong with the IV and it needed to come out right away. For 45 minutes I tried calming her down, but she was in a lot of pain. Just before 10, the nurse brought in some loritab. Then Madie and I layed down on the bed. I nursed her and we both took a little nap. Its kinda hard sleeping on a small surgery bed (its not even as big as a twin size). But I was so tired and so sick, I didn't care. The nurse checked her vitals every so often. She had to wrap a little sensor around Madie's big toe to check her O2 stats and heart rate. Every time Madie saw that sensor, she would scream and fight and kick. It would take four of us just to keep it on her toe for 20 seconds. Well, they finally let us go at noon. Then we had to stop by the pediatrician's office for another shot of Rocephin (the antibiotic). We finally got home around 1:30. Madison and I went to bed and slept the day. She wakes up about every four hours, acting like she is in pain. So I give her more medicine and she falls back asleep. But even though she is asleep, she can sense whether I am there or not. If I leave the room, she'll immediately wake up crying. (She is asleep in my bed) When she is awake, she is extremely thirsty. She drank 12 oz of apple juice in ten minutes. Which is unusual for her. Usually I can never get her to finish a 4 oz bottle of it. So I guess that is a good sign.

Anyway, the doctor said her adenoids were really swollen. He was surprised at how big they were. He said her ears were still really infected, despite the fact that she has been given three shots of the antibiotic.

I have been so sick! I woke up and my throat was swollen. It hurts to talk and I cannot swallow. Well, I can, but it feels like I am swallowing knives. My ears hurt really bad and my body aches.

Anyway, there's my little update on how we are doing. I'll keep everyone posted on her progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry she is having such a hard time and that you are so sick to , all the things you said about the waiting and the nervousness and her crying after makes me remember all of Clintons surgeries , so I feel for you guys , hang in there hon