Sunday, January 25, 2009

Temples

This year in church, the theme is about families (actually I think it is The Proclamation). January's theme is "Marriage is ordained of God and is central to His Plan of Happiness". We had three very good talks in sacrament today. They all emphasized the importance of temples. I kept thinking about myself and my desire to go to the temple. I will be taking out my endowments soon. I am both nervous and excited. I have looked at the calendar several times trying to decide a date. I still have no idea. I just wanted to write down my feelings (I guess my testimony) about temples. I know that God gave us temples to make sacred covenants in. I know I don't know much (yet) about what exactly goes on inside temples, so I might not be making much sense. But I have been taught since primary how important temples are.

I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.


For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside someday.
I'll covenant with my Father;
I'll promise to obey.

For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God,
I've learned this truth;
A family is forever.


Sister Barney compared the temple to a pearl. The shell of the pearl is like the building of the temple. They are both very beautiful both inside and out. But it is what is inside that is what is really important (the covenants, sealings, etc and the pearl). I really like that analogy.

I can't wait until the day that I can take out my endowments. And I really can't wait for the day that I can be sealed in the temple. I am preparing for both of those very special days.

Anyway, this blog probably doesn't make much sense. And it probably should have been written in my journal. But I wanted to let my readers know that I have a testimony of temples.

4 comments:

Holly Steffen said...

i love it!!! =]

just pick a day and strive to go there. we had a talk once about how if you set a date you're more apt to go (if you have to move the date for whatever reason- its okay but to have a goal is the idea)

i'm excited for you. my only advice? once you go- go again not long after. why? bc the first time you will be so overwhelmed and the second time you will understand more and you'll be able to enjoy it better.

wish i could go with you! =]

Amanda said...

I was thinking March 28 or June 12. But it will be before July 8 because my sis is getting married in the Vegas temple and I want to be there for her.

Thanks for the advice!

Holly said...

I'm so excited for you!!! You will love the temple. All of the feelings there are just so wonderful! One word of advice that I was given and I'm glad I listened. Don't focus on trying to remember everything. Focus on the feelings you have there!

Which temple are you going to through for your first time?

Amanda said...

I was thinking probably the Twin Falls temple, actually. My favorite is Manti, and I plan on being married there. But they do live sessions. Advice I've been given is to not go where they do live sessions your first time because you get too confused. My second choice would be Salt Lake, but they do live sessions there too. So, I don't know.